Who's the Cuckoo Marans and who's the Barred Rock?

S.L.Swope

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
San Antonio
Ok I got a Cuckoo Marans and a Barred Rock chick and did not ask to have the labled and I really want to know who's who. Their about 10 days on I believe. From Ideal Poultry Came into store on last wend. so I guese they were probably hatched on monday

Chick 1 (I suspect this one is the Marans chick)
86549_dscf3629.jpg

86549_dscf3632.jpg

86549_dscf3646.jpg

Chick 2
86549_dscf3630.jpg

86549_dscf3634.jpg

86549_dscf3647.jpg

The two side by side chick 1 on the left chick 2 on right
86549_dscf3628.jpg

I would have to guess no. 1 chick is the BR, she looks like she has more dark shading on the fronts of her legs. But I'm no expert. For a real good guess, I hope SpeckedHen is around. Or Wynette, or Kathyinmo.They are very involved in BR's. Or ask on the BR thread.

It's hard to tell colors from camera lighting, but I suspect chick one is the Marans, and chick 2 as the BR. Chick one has very pale and pink legs, whereas it looks like chick 2 has yellow in it's legs.

you'll be able to tell with more certainty as they age. Their leg pigment will brighten, and they'll start developing different patterning. (Barred Rocks have neat barred lines on their body, while Marans are more scattered in their color scheme. Almost speckled, but not quite).

I've suspected chick 1 is the Marans because I have a Blue Marans chick that has a white feather just like chick 1 first feather on wing

Back
Top Bottom