1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who's the Daddy? A chick mystery:

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LadyCluck77, Jun 9, 2016.

1. LadyCluck77

LadyCluck77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2013
    Maine
    Hi Everyone!

After many unsuccessful attempts, my extremely persistent broody finally hatched out one live chick!

The broody is a Leghorn X Faverolles cross who lays pink eggs, but she was sitting on six pale blue eggs. She isn't the biological mother- but I'm pretty sure the mother is one of my EE's.
    I have only four hens who lay a pale blue egg, and they are all Golden Duckwing Americauna X Brown Leghorn crosses.

My four roosters are a Salmon Faverolles rooster (who I strongly suspect to be the father) who is dominant.
    I have two Americauna roosters; one is black, the other is blue.
    I also have a Rhode Island red rooster who has a leg injury so I highly doubt that he is the father.

I was on Kippenjungle and I calculated a partridge colored hen over a Salmon colored Rooster and it said all of the male chicks would be Golden Duckwing and all of the female chicks would be Cream duckwing.

The chick is pale yellow. I only caught a glimpse so I can't tell if it has feathered legs. Is there any difference between cream and gold duckwing in chicks? Also, I assumed the chick would be chipmunk colored, but does the yellow mean the salmon faverolles genetics is showing up- and is it safe to assume the Salmon Faverolles is the father?

Any ideas? I suppose I can wait and see how the little chick feathers out, but I am curious about who its parents are.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The easiest way will be to be able to look at the chick and see if it has feathered legs, white skin and five toes. Those are partially dominant, so that would be your Faverolles. A straight comb would also lend itself to Faverolles father. The other two birds should throw a straight comb when paired with those hens.

Trying to go by color is going to be problematic.....there isn't a "golden duckwing" Ameraucana, so I suspect the parent birds were EE. I've had a similar cross, and when paired with black or blue birds the offspring were mostly black or blue. So, I think you've got a part Faverolles chick.

However, if you examine it and it has a clean face, clean yellow legs, and straight comb, you'll know your gimpy RIR boy got lucky [​IMG]

3. LadyCluck77

Jun 5, 2013
    Maine
    Thank you!

I would like to get a photograph of it, but the hen is having none of my meddling. Will post a photo later if I can get close enough!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I know, it's so hard to respect the hen and leave the chicks be [​IMG]. I've had broodies for years and still want to at least lay eyes on the littles, they just make me smile!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you put mama outside to get a potty break? Maybe you could rush and check out the chick., while she is gone.

6. LadyCluck77

Jun 5, 2013
    Maine
    I went out and waited patiently, and was able to catch a very quick photo of the chick! It kept dashing back to its mother, and its father came in to investigate at one point. I think it can be confirmed, the Salmon Faverolles is the father. The chick appears to have some leg feathering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  7. LadyCluck77

Jun 5, 2013
    Maine
    ..And here is another one, totally different looking! Is it possibly a different father?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by