Who's the Daddy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RWise, Jan 3, 2013.

1. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    My girls are RIR, Barred Rock and Ameraucana. I am trying to ID the Daddy of the chicks, which I can on most of them. My Roo's are a Red Ameraucana and a Buff Orpington.
    And here's some of the chicks:

[​IMG]

Most are not to hard to ID the Daddy as Red has green legs and Dusty, well Dusty is orange. 3 are from my Sisters hen that lays Jumbo+ size eggs, they are the ones with (crocked talons) birth defects. But the yellow one in the back right has feathers on its feet and legs, is from my hens, but it looks nothing like anything I have. The RIR likes Dusty and not Red, most all the black chicks have green legs.

So, who's the Daddy?
    Best match in pics I have found is a frizzle,,,, IDK????
    Any guesses

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I think you'll have to wait until they feather out for any decent chance at ID. Sorry.

3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    all of your black chicks with spots on the heads are male. They are black sexlinks from your barred hen, black chicks with no head spot should be female sexlinks. Others will have to wait until they're older.

4. ashl768

ashl768 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    My bunch of chicks look alot like this mixture, I have One yellow chick w brown streak down the middle, I'm new to this so I'm going to try to post a photo, when someone can identify what kind of chicken it is, i [​IMG]want to know. Any idea if its male or female?

5. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I was thinking the ones with the white spot would be boys, but 2 of the black babies are from my Blue Ameraucana hen and and the Red Ameraucana Roo. I could tell them apart until they dried,,,, they were both blue.

But the real question is where did that yellow thing come from? I called the girl i got 2 of my hens from, she has a banty frizzle roo,,,, Little guy must have found a way,,,

6. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    Are these from your hen/s? Like said above the black one is a boy, IDK what the other is,

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    any with beards are easter eggers and the chipmonk stripped one is 100% easter egger ea

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    None of your chicks appear to be sired by a Buff Orpington rooster.

I've hatched Buff Orpington/Barred Rock cross chicks. Females were blackish with gold faces. Males were blackish with silver faces. None of your black chicks look like this cross (from what I can see).

I've hatched Rhode Island Red/Barred Rock cross chicks. They looked just like your black chicks.

I hatched one Rhode Island Red/Buff Orpington cross chick. She was a very light reddish buff as a chick, I could easily tell her apart from the purebred Rhode Island Red chicks that I hatched at the same time. She matured to be an orangey buff color with black tail feathers.

The chipmunk colored chick looks like an Easter Egger crossed with something that had feathered legs. Feathered legs is a dominant trait, so at least one of his parents had feathered legs (a bird wouldn't carry the feather legged gene unless it actually had feathered legs itself, because it is a dominant gene and so would express itself in the bird).

The only one I question is the chocolatey/mocha colored one, second from the front. Do you have a better picture of this one? [​IMG]

9. ashl768

Jan 2, 2013

10. ashl768

Jan 2, 2013
    What are beards?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by