whos the daddy???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by naightengale, Aug 30, 2013.

1. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    ok so i have 3 silkie hens.. they had been in with my brown leghorn and were fertile by him.. we finally got a silkie roo the other day..and he has now bred with them...
    now whos the daddy??? will there be a chance at either???

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

To be sure you have to wait a month for the hen to be clear of the old cock's sperm.

But in most cases I have read two weeks is adequate. Also I have read that the last cock to mate with the hen is the most likely father. But I believe there is a chance at either one being the father.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Right now the hens have sperm from both roosters and the egg could be fertilized from either one. As stated, if you want silkie babies, wait a few weeks after pulling the leghorn roo out. As long as both roos are with the hens, they'll both fertilize eggs.

4. naightengale

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    the hens were in my "common" run until we got seperate breed coops built. so since we finally found a silkie roo and bulit their coop/run they have been "alone" since moving them they have layed 7+ eggs and by black silkie is now sitting them...
    i dont care right now if they are pure i was just wondering how it worked lol.
    i have a silkie mix which im pretty sure is a silkie leghorn mix and he is beautiful!!!!! (just got him today)
    thank yall.

5. naightengale

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    can anyone tell me how breeding of diff color silkis works?? pics of results?? my silkie roo is a partrich and my hens are black and splash.
    also if any one has brown leghorn over black or splash silkie pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by