Who's the top chick?

Taj_MaChicken

Songster
May 26, 2019
NW Kentucky
We've had our girls (and boy) for 6 weeks now, they're all within 2 weeks of age.

We have one large EE, a rooster and a possible Cochin of about the same size, then several smaller EE and two Bantam Polish. I thought a pecking order would come into play, but I can't figure them out.

We sit with them every evening, feed them snacks out of our hands so they continue to stay friendly and used to be handled. The Polish and some of the EE will steal food from the cockerel and he just lets them do it, but I've also seen him around the feeder take his foot and shove them out of the way.

I see several of them chest bumping (even after a pecking episode goes on), so I see that there's some level of order. I just can't figure it out.

Is this normal? Or are they too young?

Normal, some flocks form pecking orders later on, and some do it very early,early as just a couple weeks.Nothing is really declared though till birds are at least laying age,I’ve had the pecking order take a total shift at around this age.And even as they age some will overthrow others.

Pretty young....and sometimes an absolute pecking order never forms.
It can be fluid...but eventually the cock/erel will rule the roost, then the girls pecking order might become clear, or not.

Back
Top Bottom