Who's up for guessing the sex of my 6-week-old BR and EE?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by guesswhatchickenbutt, May 4, 2009.

1. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    I have a BR, EE and BO that are all about 6 weeks old. I'm new to chickens so I'm still learning what the early differences are between the boys and the girls.

I feel pretty certain that the BO is a girl. It sounds silly, but she just gives off the girl vibe - she's smaller than the other 2 and very sweet and docile.

She EE and BR are supposed to be girls, but you know how that goes. Both have combs that are starting to change a bit, but since I'm new to chickens I'm not really sure on what to expect.

Here's some pics if you're up for giving your opinions!!

The BR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The EE with the BO at the bottom

[​IMG]

For all I know it's so obvious to seasoned chicken folks when they see the pics that mine are indeed all girls.... but since I'm new, what do I know? Any thoughts???

Thanks!

Edited to add a pic of the BO (even though she gives off a girl vibe in a most-girly way! LOL)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    The BR and EE are most likely girls. The BO is the one I would question. Need a better picture of the head with a view of the wattles.

Matt

3. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I'm no pro but I say you gave girls

4. guesswhatchickenbutt

guesswhatchickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Central FL
    Added a pic of the BO in the original post. I didn't put her in originally because she just reeks of girl chicken - LOLOL. But I added her just in case. LOL.

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    The BO is a little Roo.

Matt

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Just curious as to what makes you think the BO is a roo. I am no where near an expert, but I think it looks like a pullet.

Edited to add: I think the other two are pullets as well.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  7. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:im no expert, but i believe you are wrong. The comb is no wear near turning a dark red at 6 weeks.

8. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

All girls [​IMG] BR for sure, EE pretty sure (can't see comb well) and BO for sure.

9. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I have a buff orpington and at 6 weeks old she had more wattles showing and her comb was a darker pink and she is a she [​IMG] BO is 100% girly girl. The other two look like pullets to me. I have 8 week olds now and the roo's sticks out like a sore thumb.

10. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I will say all girls as well.

The BR is really dark, boys are much lighter. The EEs tail is definitely a pullet tail and my BO pullet has a comb and wattles like that, but no redness. The little roo BOs I have had get red combs before 2 months and a different shaped tail than the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by