Who's waiting on the late bloomers?

CowgirlPenny

Songster
8 Years
Feb 17, 2011
South East TN
Count me in.
hmm.png

We are so SO blessed to get eggs each day. I enjoy it so much. My first laid back on July 8, a black Sex Link. But since then just two more have matured and lay now even though they are all the same age and mostly the same breeds. By my calculations, they will be 24 weeks old Sunday and only three lay. What gives? Everyone 'looks' ready (wattles, comb,etc.) everyone is very receptive to the rooster 'chicken surfing' them and I really thought by now we'd have atleast 6 or 7 laying. But on average we get three, some days just two. I know it's hot but we go above and beyond to keep them cool all day (frozen veggies off and on all day, ice in water, sand pit/sandbox my husband built that we wet each morning, they love the wet cool sand) so I think they are OK in that department. Good feed, calcium offered, always fresh water. I feel like I check 6 times a day (I probably do!) because I just keep hoping that one or two more laid, but they never do.

I know, I know they will lay when they are ready...just seems to be taking forever! lol

20 weeks and not one of my five are laying. Do you all think the Gmo feed is the key? Maybe there now causing our chickens to be infertile or not lay much?

Back
Top Bottom