who's working on Lavender Ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SusanJoM, Sep 30, 2010.

1. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi folks. I've been off the board since about April of last year. Time flies when you've got too many chickens.
    But here I am again and I'm curious what the status is and who's working on Lavender Ameraucanas.
    I got a dozen eggs from Schaeffer last year and hatched out a batch of birds carrying and/or showing the lavender.
    Now I'm into the second generation and in fact my only (not really an) Ameraucana roo is a gorgeous Lavender.

So....I'm curious who's doing what and how they are looking.
    (But my camera skills are terrible, so I'm not ready to ante up with any pictures of my own just yet....)

Susan

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    John Blehm, Jean Ribbeck, and someone else here (can't remember your name, sorry!) has Lavenders. From what I see, there's no splits or anything either. [​IMG]

3. SusanJoM

Thanks, Illia.

I got my first true Blue and Black Ameraucana hatching eggs from Jean a few years back. I passed on the black and the blue roos, but I still have several of the black and blue hens from that hatch and some of their offspring.....:))))

Susan

4. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I have two Lavender Roosters from John Blehm. I have hatched out Lavender splits from my black Ameraucana girls. I am just waiting for the pullets to grow up. THey should start laying in a month. THen I will hatch out the eggs. Hopefully, I will get some Lavenders and they will start laying my next spring.

5. SusanJoM

What's a "lavender split"?

Do you mean a chicken that is carrying the lavender gene but from only one parent so it's not visually a lavender?

Or??????

Susan

6. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    Susan,

You are correct. Splits are black that carry a lavender gene. Lavenders have two lavender genes.

7. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    Yes, a lavender split is usually black in appearance and carry's the lavender gene, so bred back to a lavender bird, their offspring will be lavender.

I currently have 4 lavender ameraucana chicks that are a month old. They are John Blehm line. I'm hoping to get some black or split black ameraucana eggs or chicks late winter and will be working on them next year.

8. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    There are splits. Jean has been doing splits, I am fairly certain, to improve type/size on the lavenders. Jean has some very nice lavs... look at her website pipsnpeeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by