Who's Your Daddy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SkyWarrior, Aug 29, 2011.

1. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Oh my. I knew I'd have some interesting chicks out of this hatch, but I had no idea...

Let me start with an explanation of what has occurred. I put 3 blue-green eggs, 1 chocolate egg, and 3 brown eggs from my two chicken pens. Pen 1 is easy: it has Vader, my big black EE and 4 EE hens (2 gold, 1 partridge, 1 splash). Pen 2 is complex and I need to thin the roosters there. I have 1 BR roo, 1 EE (copper/blue) roo, and 1 CM roo. Hens: 1 blue marans (the chocolate egg), 1 BS orp, 1 BO, 2 RIR, 2 BR, 1 EE (partridge), and 1 BSL.

1 (blue) egg that hatched I was pretty darn sure it was Vader x golden EE: Result: gold chick with black stripes. Muffs

The other six chicks are as follows:

3 BLUE chicks!!!! Yay!!! [​IMG] Two have muffs. (!!!) I sure at least one came from a blue egg. Another came from the blue marans egg.

3 Black chicks with BR or CM markings. ONE has a muff (!!!)

Now (coff) -- who would you say would line up with each of them? And do you have a guess as to their sex with the colors?

The obligatory, yet lousy picts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

So cute!! [​IMG]

3. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Oh yeah! They're awesome little guys/gals. Long story short last year I tried for blue chickens -- blue marans, BBS orps, etc, and only got a splash orp, a blue marans and a copper/blue EE. Now, I've doubled my blue birds without even trying! [​IMG]

4. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Anyone?

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I think if you post a few pics in a couple weeks it may be a bit easier to try...

6. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Mutts-----gotta love em. (Looks like hatching days at my place)

7. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Now I'm really flummoxed. Gold chick with muffs and is starting to get barred feathers!

Must rethink who its parents are.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by