Who's your favorite? A hen or a roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gritsar, Jun 26, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Assuming you have a rooster that is. I'd have to say my favorite is still my top roo, Zeus. He's such a bad boy and I love his 'tude. He knows he's mine and he believes that I'm all his. But on the other hand I have a hen, Lilith, that is such a shy little worrywart, my heart goes out to her. She walks around cooing to herself non-stop and doesn't hang out much with the other chickens. When they're out in the yard she goes back and forth to their pen non-stop, as if checking to be sure no one's moved it.
    So hen or roo for you?

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You can't make me pick just one! [​IMG]

I do have my favorites, both Roo's & hens, but I could never narrow it down to just one.

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    OOoo, that's a toughie. If I had to choose one bird to keep out of my flock, it would be one of my Java or Sumatra hens. You just can't escape the fact that they lay those wonderfully delicious eggs.

Although, if roosters would lay eggs. I would have roosters. I think the roosters are definately the more beautiful and stunning and charismatic of the two. I just don't think I could go without eggs, to keep my one rooster.

-Kim

4. blurose

blurose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Winston, Oregon
    It's down right mean of you to make me chose. [​IMG] How am I gonna single out one of 13 when I like different things about them all? :eek: Can't I just have 13 favorites? [​IMG]

5. Aneesa's Muse

Aneesa's Muse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    I have one hen and one roo ..how can I choose between the two? I like Obe cuz he is such a sweet boy and always has to come and check on me ...and Tahti is my special girl cuz she talks entirely too much for such a little girl [​IMG]

My favorite chicken of all times, though ..that was my Buddy ...a little white bantam roo that I saved from the Easter Egg horrors of being dyed bright PINK! There could be an acre or more between us when I'd call for him ..and he'd come running fast as his little legs could carry him ...fly up and sit on my shoulder and tell me all about his adventures. [​IMG]

6. riley grapes

riley grapes Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Though its hard to decide, since there are those smart, beautiful roos, and those amazing, funny hens, I'd have to say that I vlike hens the most since they make me breakfast, and you know how good their eggs are!Yum!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two favorites.

My first and most important is my mille fleur d'Uccle hen, Girly. She's the sweetest thing ever. You just put your hand down and shell jump into it, or if you lean over to pick something up she'll fly onto your back. She loves getting pet!

My other is my black bantam cochin roo, he's such a pretty boy! He makes the cutest noises like "uh I have no idea whats going on so i'll just sit here" and hes so soft and easy to just scoop up and get some cuddle time with. He's like a big round super soft stuffed animal.

[​IMG]
    Here's girly from the other day. Its hard to get a picture of her becasue as soon as I walk into the coop she runs right up and gets right in my face!

[​IMG]
    Here's Darth Vader right after he won best in show at the west marin fair. Everyone was impressed that the fanciest chicken could be plopped onto the ground and wouldnt go two feet from me.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  8. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Hands down it's Hermie the Love Chicken. He wags his tail and makes a cute little noise when he sees me coming. If I walk by outside the run, he walks with me. If I sit outside the run, he sits as close to me as he can get. If I sit inside the run, he's sits on me and loves to be petted. He's my love bird. He has everything not going for him. Twisted toes, crooked comb, messed up barring, but to me he's a keeper. [​IMG]

9. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Wow - Darth Vader is such an awesome looking roo! Perfect name for him, too.

I have 23 - but they are only 6 weeks old, so personalities are still emerging. I love them all - but "favorite" changes daily, based on who acts like he/she loves me the most that day [​IMG]

Penny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by