Who's Your Lead Chick!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Domestic_goddess, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    edited......deleted

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG]

That little thing is a delinquent!!!! But she is definitely in charge!

3. Domestic_goddess

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Aww she's so cute!!! that's funny. What breed?

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

This is Tibet, my alpha girl. These layers are 11.5 months old. Tibet has more buff than the others and a large comb and sturdy legs. She's the second-biggest hen and from the time the flock was in the brooder she lined everyone up with herself at the left front as you look at them. They've kept that line of dominance almost perfectly since then. She isn't mean, she's simply in charge. She has a bully (Golda) to control and a wingnut named Dorothy. She positions them to her left on the front roost at night. We have 3 roosts, all at the same level. I'm pleased with her, it's easier to have her than a rooster!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  5. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I think my chickens are broken. I watch them a lot, but I never seem to notice a leader. They just all go about their day without paying much attention to each other. At random times they all seem to snip at a coopmate, but its just quick peck and both go their separate ways. There doesn't seem to be one that the others move out of the way for or one that demands to eat first. Am I just missing the signs?

6. LynneP

It can be subtle, Deborah- when they roost face them and note girl on far left then watch her over the next few days...[​IMG]

7. Domestic_goddess

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    Well for Roxie, she's seems to be the biggest with the largest comb. She isn't mean....but when you watch the flock of 7, you can see how in control of them she is.

8. LynneP

It's so nice to have a calm one- Tibet 'curtseys' to me, I'm enchanted. Your Roxie sounds like a gem too.

9. Remudamom

Remudamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's my boss hen, with her ex. This is Milcy and she's a take charge kind of girl.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by