Whose egg is this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gracejr, Dec 1, 2012.

1. gracejr

gracejr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop
    Someone new is laying, and I can't figure out who it is! Tiny little speckled brown egg.

Possible culprits:
    Silkie
    2 Easter Eggers
    1 either EE or olive egger

Size wise, I'd lean towards the silkie, but the color isn't even close, is it? It seems all the other pullets were still laying much bigger than this for their first eggs (sexlinks, brahma).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Cute! If they'll allow you to, you can do the "finger test" to see which hen is laying. Lay her on her back and see how many fingers you can fit between her pelvic bones. If you can fit more than one finger, she's laying, if it's too narrow to fit your fingers in, she's not. Do a practice test on one of your older layers, so you get an idea first.

3. gracejr

gracejr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop
    If it comes down to that I can try, but I just don't want to. :lol:

This is my entire flock:
    Light Brahma hen - not laying currently, hers are bigger and solid light brown anyway
    2 Red Sexlinks
    2 White Rocks
    1 Silkie
    3 Easter Eggers (I *believe* the one I thought may have been olive was the one who turned out to be a roo - he was an egger/barred rock cross)
    1 Buff Orpington
    2 Orpingtons from english lines

One of either the sexlinks or rocks is laying, we're getting 1 egg a day. I'm just not sure which of them it is. The silkie is old enough to lay, the easter eggers are borderline. The buff orp is old enough, but still pretty pink in the comb. The other orps are not mature enough to lay yet, they're very very pink/pale combs.

We got another just about identical today, so I don't think this was just a fluke or a fart egg or anything. Is there a way to tell visually if one of the easter eggers is actually an olive egger?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by