Whose egg is this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dekel18042, Dec 29, 2014.

1. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]
    These are five eggs I got today. Two on top are Easter eggers', Two beside them are my mixes and the one in the middle is a new egg. Not sure which pullet it is from. The two mixes' egg are pinkish. The new one is pale brownish lightly speckled.
    Possibilities: (and my ideas but I know there is a lot of experience out there.)
    Blue splash marans
    Welsumer
    Chantecler. I'm guessing chantecler by default. I would think the blue splash marans and welsumer would be darker. All my non layers are in the almost 7 to 8 month range in age.
    It's fairly large for a first egg, but thinner than my other eggs. The EE eggs are bigger than they look. Perhaps they look smaller because they are further away.

2. Wilebaum

Wilebaum Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2014
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I'm a noob, so don't give this too much weight. But I wonder if bottom/center isn't just light colored welsumer or maran?
    I'm not sure if first eggs tend to be lighter or darker than a hens average color for her egg?

3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Could be. We did see the blue splash marans checking out the nest boxes and I've seen my rooster breeding her. The combs on all three are reddening up.
    When my black copper marans started laying, their eggs were very dark, and small.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by