WHT causes light bulb to dim and it doesn't go on/off/on/off

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Arielle, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    For months the WHt controlling the light bulb worked well. THe on/off/on/off sequence. I turned off the homemade incubator for a couple months and recently warmed it up again. [​IMG]

Can anyone tell my why the bulb dims and whether this is good or bad? Has me worried!

2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    The WHT and bulbs are not designed to do what we ask of them. I replace the bulbs every hatch and the WHTs when it seems they are acting funny. If its acting wierd id replace it. Not worth losing a hatch over a 12$ part.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    THank you. I didn't think it would fail so quickly. Will switch out bulb and WHT. Thanks.

4. JEH1984

JEH1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Asheville NC
    Mine does the same thing. It did the on and off for the first week as I was getting the temp steady. Now it acts like a dimmer switch but it keeps a perfect temp. I also change out the light bulbs after each hatch because I don't want it to blow in the middle of incubation. I don't know why it does this but at first I got worried something was wrong. It started this during the first run in it but I had 10 out of 14 hatch. I would keep a close eye on it to make sure it doesn't blow the light bulb. Good luck!!

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    My incubator is empty--just warming it up for some eggs. [​IMG]

That's when I noticed the WHT was wonky. It does keep the right temp though just like yours.

I was worried that the wiring or WHT was faulty and might cause a fire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by