wht is this funny looking egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crzychicken, Jan 19, 2009.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    What would this be.. I found what looked like just the skin of anegg in one of nesting boxes today look to me like an broken egg with no shell

2. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I have had eggs that were very soft shelled. Also had eggs without a shell. Sometimes you never know what will pop out.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Just a glitch in the system. Do keep your eyes open for odd behaviour, but its normal to have an odd egg every now and then.

Make sure you are offering some oyster shell for added calcuim, just in case.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  4. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Thanks I wasn't sure if it was normal or what, they just started laying.

5. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    One of my hens has been doing that for 6 months now.. I cant find out who is the culprit. when I DO its gonna be CHICKEN Dumplins for supper.
    It sure messes up the nest.. she insist in laying IT on a pile of eggs.
    Im open for suggestions on how to find out who is doing this. I have 45 hens and I havent figured out a way.

6. Squeaky

Squeaky I squeak, therefore I am

Jul 5, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    A.J.'s :

One of my hens has been doing that for 6 months now.. I cant find out who is the culprit. when I DO its gonna be CHICKEN Dumplins for supper.
    Im open for suggestions on how to find out who is doing this. I have 45 hens and I havent figured out a way.

Get a bunch of little battery operated cameras and set up a nest-cam?

Or do your hens look too much alike for you to tell who the culprit is?​

7. Squeaky

Squeaky I squeak, therefore I am

Jul 5, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    A.J.'s :

OR...

Section your coop off with chicken wire into three areas. Separate your birds into three groups of 15, (A, B, and C), with one group in each section. Then wait a couple days and determine which group has the nest bomb. Mark all the chickens in that group with Magic Marker or some similar thing.

Step 2: Pick five out of the offending group (suppose it's B) and swap them with five from A. Swap five more between B and C. The result will be five birds from B group apiece in set A, B, and C. Wait a day or two for the next nest bomb. If it's in B again, it's one of the birds you didn't swap, otherwise it's a bird in the set you swapped. Otherwise you've got it narrowed down to a bird in the swapped set. Mark this set of five possible offenders a second time.

Step 3: Of the five double-marked birds, distribute two in groups A and B and one in C. Wait a couple of days for the nest bomb. If it's the bird in group C, you've got your soup candidate.

Step 4: Otherwise if the nest bomb is in A or B, move the double-marked bird into the group without a nest bomb because she's innocent. Take one of the double-marked birds and put her into into C. You will now have only two groups with a double-marked bird in them. Wait for the final nest bomb, and the double-marked bird in the set that contains the nest bomb will be the culprit.

This should isolate your nest bomber with in a week. Of course it assumes you have only one!

Cheers,

Squeaky​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by