Wht kind of chicken is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by coyoteugly, Aug 15, 2011.

1. coyoteugly

coyoteugly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Meet Liberty. She is about 19 weeks old and is a lovely girl, but has very unusual feathering. She is supposed to be an Ameraucana, but I've never seen one feathered like her. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    She has a rooster's feathers, the pointy ones down her neck and the lovely pointy ones over the base of her tail. I have a hen who's very roosterly, even crows. She also lays normal eggs, goes broody, raises chicks. I think your Miss Liberty is lovely. She may be a rooster, but the best of both worlds is like I have with Miss Rosie Bossypants, who's pretty like a rooster and motherly to her chicks, and provides us with fantastic eggs!

BTW, if Miss Liberty is a rooster, I bet that will be a GORGEOUS 2 year old rooster!

3. big medicine

big medicine custom Brahmas

Mar 6, 2009
    Ohio
    The color pattern looks to be blue buff columbian.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  4. coyoteugly

Aug 12, 2011
    I'm hoping she's going to stay a she [​IMG] We've already had a Big Mama turn out to be Big Daddy, and an Aunt Ethel become Uncle E.

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    She's 100% hen! [​IMG] Love her coloring!

She is an Easter Egger. Easter Eggers can be sexed by color. [​IMG]

6. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Green legs = Easter egger Pullet. The feathers are not pointy at the base of the tail. They look round. She is very pale in the face area to be a roo.

You cant sex and EE by color. Never EVER heard of that. EEs are not an autosexing breed.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  7. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:X2

8. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    [​IMG]

Was told ours is a "wheaten" EasterEgger. Sold to us as an Americauna. We luuurve her, she is a funny and loveable chicken. Her eggs are so tasty sometimes she turns around and eats them. We find out later when she comes to us with egg on her face, like, "something's sticky. Can you wash me off?"

She's also fond of gettin into the house and laying around on the couch. It's very hard to kick her back out. I mean, what's the big deal, she's just watching videos or putting her green feet up...

[​IMG]

Wonder if yours and mine are related? Yours is very, very pretty.

9. coyoteugly

Aug 12, 2011
    6chickens in St. Charles :

She has a rooster's feathers, the pointy ones down her neck and the lovely pointy ones over the base of her tail. I have a hen who's very roosterly, even crows. She also lays normal eggs, goes broody, raises chicks. I think your Miss Liberty is lovely. She may be a rooster, but the best of both worlds is like I have with Miss Rosie Bossypants, who's pretty like a rooster and motherly to her chicks, and provides us with fantastic eggs!

BTW, if Miss Liberty is a rooster, I bet that will be a GORGEOUS 2 year old rooster!

We watched the youtube. My 6 year old is still giggling. Thanks for sharing!!​

10. 6chickens in St. Charles

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Quote:We watched the youtube. My 6 year old is still giggling. Thanks for sharing!!

Oh you're very welcome! Isn't that the fun? One of my kids stays up reading Adventures of Barbara with me once in a while. Who knew, something as OUT THERE and nonsequetorial as "BackYard Chickens" would connect a kid with his mom to reading? Go Figure.

Best of luck with Miss Liberty. She's really pretty. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by