Why’d my bird throw out her egg?

Oldegarlicshnapp

Songster
May 11, 2020
It’s a huge shame because the nest is high up on a perch. So the egg broke open and the fully developed chick either died on impact or from the cold. And it’s the only one I’ve add looking identical to it’s mother!

The nest is a crate with too small holes for falling out of, and I saw the walls of it are actually pretty high up. So it would take some effort to lift the egg out.
My mom thinks there was a fuss during what could’ve been an animal scaring them. I didn’t hear anything through the night or morning, so I’m not sure.
7C88C099-17E3-4DB6-8069-8C93FC2AAA28.jpeg
952578A4-8CDB-4B88-BB96-FEA333268AC0.jpeg

With multiple hens in a nest, shuffling and scuffling can happen and eggs get inadvertently cracked/broken/knocked out of the nest. It is generally best to allow a hen privacy when she sets.
Yeah I’m sure, now that you mention it. It’s actually only one sister’s clutch. They’re just so closely bonded that the other one became broody with her. It was a massive clutch, so I didn’t mind it. I’ll bear that in mind for the future though- thank you.

I agree either too many hens on the nest or sometimes when an egg dies or goes bad a hen will remove it from her nest.
Nah it was a good egg. It’s definitely due to the females. I tried separating that grey one this morning, but she’s an old girl so it had a fit.

Do you guys think I should only leave the mother in there? Only trouble is that it’s a large number of eggs, so that’s why I let the second frizzle stay. I could put some in the incubator if it’s recommended.

Back
Top Bottom