Why add back orp to lavender?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hennyhandler, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have two lavender orpingtons and I have done some research on the breeding of them. I understand that a lavender to lavender makes more lavneders. Lavender to split black makes 50/50, lavender bred to non-split black makes 100% split black and so on. What I don't understand is why blacks are bred to the lavenders. I am thinking that they help with the type, yes? I am wondering if this is needs to be done when breeding lavenders? Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I dont breed lavender orpingtons, but from what Ive seen, lavender orpingtons need a lot of help in the type department. Theres a lot of really excellent black orpingtons. Theres few, if any good lavender orpingtons. Unfortunately it is one of those breeds that everyone is breeding, but no one is paying attention to type. So we now have a lot of people with these lavender chickens that dont resemble orpingtons. Seems the breed is no further along than it was when it was started. Breeding back to quality blacks should improve them, if people will pay attention to what they continue to breed.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Also, if lav orps are anything like lav silkies, hatching is more of a trial when bred lav to lav than when bred lav to split for lav.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    x2

Agreed word per word.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    X3, I agree 100%.
    I will also add that not only does the Self Blue Orpingtons have less than ideal body type but they also have less than ideal feather quality.

Chris

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX

X4

I've seen very, very few Lav. Orps that I'd have. Most indeed don't anything like an Orp.

7. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I see what ya'll mean now. That makes sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by