1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why? Age?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Oct 21, 2011.

1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Ok, so I have two RSL hens and I haven't gotten any eggs from them in about a month. I know its the time when they 'slow down', but these hens are pretty old. Is there a way I can tell if they are laying or not. One of them, has recently gotten a small pink comb, so I think she's too old to lay. The other has a huge red comb, and seems healthy and all. These chickens could be anywhere from 5-8 years old [​IMG] . So they ARE pretty old. But...the one with the comb looks like she SHOULD be laying!

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    can you post a picture?

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If they are as old as you say, then they've had a great career and have laid much longer than many folks would have believed. You are right to examine the comb. If it turn dull and pink and the legs re-yellow, those are signs of not laying, as you point out. Autumn is tough, as the decreasing daylight really triggers the "stop laying" warning in their inner selves. I assume you have little interest turning her back on, or attempting to do so, by using lots of added light?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You can also check the vent.. Does the color look vital? Is it moist?

This method of "checking" may not be your personal cup of tea. [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would say you're right, that the shortened days are the culprit (well...combined with age). I've noticed that my girls have decreased a LOT more over the past few weeks THIS YEAR than they did last year (mine are just 2+ years) around this same time. So I'd say the shortening days must affect the decrease more and more each year, which makes sense. A few of mine who're suffering from lack of light do have nice bright combs, so a red comb must not be a sure sign. Your girls' laying longevity is admirable [​IMG]

6. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Yup, they're the best [​IMG] They deserve a break!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by