Why am I getting small eggs and jello type eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by madmorg, Dec 27, 2011.

1. madmorg

madmorg New Egg

Dec 27, 2011
    Hello,

I am new to chickens and love every minute of it since getting them.
    We have two naked necks and two ameracaunas. Within the last two weeks, they have been laying eggs for the first time. Exciting as it is, we're confused too. We've had one perfect egg,and the rest have been very small or several have been small and very soft shelled,almost the consistency of jello. Is it their diet, immaturity or ?
    Please help if you know the answer.
    Thank you
    PS: this is a great forum

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    when hens first start laying eggs are smaller than they will be when they get a little older. They also at the beginning will lay eggs without shells occasionally. Don't be concerned, this is all perfectly normal.

And welcome to BYC [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  3. skycladfaerielady

skycladfaerielady Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Coatesville, Indiana
    Do you have oyster shell out for them? Once they start laying you should offer them free feed oyster shell for the calcium It contains.

4. skycladfaerielady

skycladfaerielady Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Coatesville, Indiana
    A hen draws calcium straight from their bones to produce an egg shell. They should always have calcium available. :)

5. madmorg

madmorg New Egg

Dec 27, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I do have oyster shells out for them to peck at. I think they may be eating some.
    In your opinion, is corn, cracked or canned, bad for them. I love to give to them as a treat, and they love getting it.

6. madmorg

madmorg New Egg

Dec 27, 2011
    thanks muttsfan for the reassurance.

7. ridgewood chickens

ridgewood chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Monadnock Region, NH
    I give my hens a scoop of scratch mix which contains corn almost every day as a treat now that it is cold weather (1 sccop for 7 hens), doesn't seem to hurt the quality of the eggs - mine only get layer mash as a regular food, however, and since they started laying about 7 weeks ago, I have never had a problem with soft or thin shells.

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Are you feeding your birds, Jelly Beans? [​IMG]

9. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    If you feed too much corn or scratch, they will get inadequate protein for good laying. For 7 hens a handful a few times a day is enough. Corn is the same, small amounts won't hurt but it is lower in protein than laying mash and too much may affect laying. this is true of everything you feed that is low in protein, though, so keep in mind all the additional things you feed - they should not be more than about 15% of the diet (unless it is nice protein-rich bugs [​IMG] )

10. BackyardCountry

BackyardCountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    My Own Little World....
    Eggs will be small for the first few months (ik, i stinks) but be patient. as for the 'jello' eggs- could be a result of calcium deficiency. Try putting crushed oyster shells in their feed. Hope it helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by