Why am I not getting eggs from my Pekin?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sulteric, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Sulteric

Sulteric Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Central Massachusetts
    I have a female Pekin Bantam, she's all black. My other breed is laying but she isn't. She's about 6 months old or so. Feeding her corn right now.

Any hints/tips/tricks/info?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Maybe she isn't old enough to start laying yet. 6 months is still really young. In addition the summer heat makes them stop laying. Dont rush her, give her a little more time

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

as well, corn increases their body heat, and combined with the summer heat, she could very well be OVER heated. Try giving her a layer pellet instead of straight corn.

4. Sulteric

Jun 7, 2008
    Central Massachusetts
    I'll change that immediately. I'll have to take a ride to the grain place near here. I've been meaning to do that, just haven't had the time.

I figured age may be an issue. I'll be patient!

5. Sulteric

Jun 7, 2008
    Central Massachusetts
    I picked up the feed today. It was $11.62 for a 50 pound bag. Is that good?

6. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Cochins are usually pretty lame layers. In my experience they go through spates of laying (for maybe 6 weeks, twice a year if i'm very lucky), and i'd get 4 eggs a week out of them on a good week [​IMG]

7. Sulteric

Jun 7, 2008
    Central Massachusetts
    I really wanted to get full size hens but I basically rescued these chickens so...

Will bantams get along with full size chickens?

8. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    That's pretty good for grain. The last time I bought feed I paid fifty percent more. Ugh. I wish my girls would lay their eggs earlier in the day-they would free range way more hours that way! And I agree, she could still be a bit young for laying.

9. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:LAYING PELLETS are what she needs to have .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by