Why am I not getting eggs from my Pekin?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sulteric, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Sulteric

Sulteric In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Central Massachusetts
    I have a female Pekin Bantam, she's all black. My other breed is laying but she isn't. She's about 6 months old or so. Feeding her corn right now.

Any hints/tips/tricks/info?

2. Maybe she isn't old enough to start laying yet. 6 months is still really young. In addition the summer heat makes them stop laying. Dont rush her, give her a little more time

3. as well, corn increases their body heat, and combined with the summer heat, she could very well be OVER heated. Try giving her a layer pellet instead of straight corn.

4. Sulteric

Sulteric In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Central Massachusetts
    I'll change that immediately. I'll have to take a ride to the grain place near here. I've been meaning to do that, just haven't had the time.

I figured age may be an issue. I'll be patient!

5. Sulteric

Sulteric In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Central Massachusetts
    I picked up the feed today. It was $11.62 for a 50 pound bag. Is that good?

6. Cara

Cara Songster

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Cochins are usually pretty lame layers. In my experience they go through spates of laying (for maybe 6 weeks, twice a year if i'm very lucky), and i'd get 4 eggs a week out of them on a good week [​IMG]

7. Sulteric

Sulteric In the Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    Central Massachusetts
    I really wanted to get full size hens but I basically rescued these chickens so...

Will bantams get along with full size chickens?

8. Heather J

Heather J Songster

May 29, 2008
    That's pretty good for grain. The last time I bought feed I paid fifty percent more. Ugh. I wish my girls would lay their eggs earlier in the day-they would free range way more hours that way! And I agree, she could still be a bit young for laying.

9. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:LAYING PELLETS are what she needs to have .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: