1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why am I such an ugly duckling (chicken)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chcikenlady, May 6, 2017.

1. chcikenlady

chcikenlady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2016
    I'm either a 2 month old leghorn or road island white and my feathers are coming in slowly. Is this normal? I look just like my sister but don't look like the other young ones. Is there any reason for concern.?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Goosegrrl

Goosegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2015
    Central FL
    Meat chick... they tend to grow faster than their feathers can keep up with.

3. chcikenlady

Oct 18, 2016
    thank you

4. Dogue

Dogue Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2014
    That is a cornish cross, not a leghorn or RIW, by the way.

5. chcikenlady

Oct 18, 2016
    oh really, that's interesting. That's what they told me at the local tractor supply. Thanks for letting me know that.

6. Dogue

Dogue Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2014
    You'll need to restrict their feed instead of letting them eat 24/7, and keep them active if you intend to have them live much longer than 3 months old. This breed is bred to be ready for butchering at 8 weeks old, and they grow so fast and big that their bodies can't keep up. If you don't keep them active and limit their feed intake, they will likely die of heart attacks or leg problems before they are even adults. I have two of my own... super sweet birds, it's a shame about their health issues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by