Why an Egg Now?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ClareScifi, Dec 4, 2013.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    What in the world?! I was cleaning out my chicken coop just now and found an egg! Saffrenee, my half White Leghorn, had laid it. Why would a hen lay an egg on the coldest day of the year? My Bantie stops laying the 1st day of summer every year and starts up again in February. My two other girls stop laying around the 1st day of Fall. Saffrenee turned 2 at the end of September. Should I be concerned about her laying an egg in this cold weather? It was only 14 F when I got up this morning and tonight is to get down to 2 F. The chickens have no supplemental heat nor light in their coop. Why do you think she popped out an egg? Bizarre!

Do I need to worry about her becoming eggbound in the cold weather ahead?

Could she have laid an egg today because day before yesterday it was nearly 60 F here and sunny? Maybe making her think Spring had Sprung? The average temp this time of year is generally around 40 F, not 60 F.

Could the super cold weather all of a sudden 'shocked' her into laying an egg?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    No offense but you have a few things mixed up.
    Temperature has little impact on egg laying.
    Day length is the primary thing that affects laying.
    I think she popped out an egg because Leghorns are the best pure breed layer there is, so they will lay.
    Egg binding is not influenced by temperature.

1 person likes this.
  3. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    In my experience, the temperature has very little to do with it. Chickens respond to the days being shorter by laying less frequently and ramp things up in spring in anticipation of the days getting longer and that being a great time of year generally, for raising young.

Often, pullets in their first year of laying, will lay throughout their first winter, and in subsequent years, stop laying to molt in fall and perhaps not pick up the laying again until spring. It sounds as though your hen is older than a pullet but even so, they can continue to lay. I rarely go a day without eggs, no matter how cold it gets (and it gets to single digits here).

4. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    My oldest hen will be 4 in March. The girl who laid today has a sister who is 27 months old, like she is. None of them has ever laid an egg between the months of November through January before. My Bantie doesn't lay after the first day of Summer, ever, until she starts up in February again. The long day length and hours of light of the summer months does not impress her in the slightest. She shuts down when it is hot, even though day length is still long, and there are plenty of daylight hours. It is a characteristic of her Silver-Laced Sebright breed, I rea. The other girls shut down when it is cold and day length is shorter.

5. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Got an egg from a second hen! Soooo strange! It was 5 F when I got up this morning. I hope my girls aren't having a mid-life crisis!

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Be happy. When they're laying, it's a good sign they're healthy.

7. 3chickchicks

3chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2013
    N. Texas
    Two of mine just started laying. They each waited for a huge cold front, one last week, one this week. [​IMG]
    Just means they're feeling fine. :D

8. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    an average healthy hen will lay all year around except when moulting in the fall.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  9. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    My hens don't lay all year 'round. In 4 years of raising chickens, this is the first year we've had eggs in December. Buttery Blanche laid another one today!

10. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    My new pullets started to lay in winter and when it was snowing.I bought them in the spring and all 13 of them started to lay about a month ago.They are laying really good too.I was surprised that they were laying in the winter i though they would start in the spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by