Why are all my girls going broody???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenaddict, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have a few flocks, one in the garage with 4 hens, one outside in the coop with 7 hens, and a few serama hens in the basement. 2 girls out in the garage went broody, 2 out in the coop went broody and another one out in the coop is starting to rip her belly feathers out so that would make 3 outside. My serama hen just tried to go broody on me the other day but luckily i caught it and took her off the nest for awhile, that seemed to work. What is with them? I have never had so many broodies over the winter! Are they too comfortable? Anyone else having this problem?

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know, but one of my RIRs was sitting for a couple days, then snapped out of it. It's been a weird winter!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Only one so far that's stayed that way... had a BR and a RIR that were acting that way and I put them outside each day for a couple of days. They wanted so badly to be back inside the coop and run that they forgot about being broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by