Why are all the hatcheries sold out of turkey? Edit: I got my pair!!!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Squishypuff, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    My husband finally caved and said I could get some, but NO ONE has any! Why is this?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Er, because it is too late to fatten them for Thanksgiving? [​IMG]

I think they just lay best in spring.

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Turkeys and geese only lay for a limited time.I would look for a local breeder and see if they have any young ones for sale but if you want poults you will have to wait until spring.

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

some people still have eggs.. maybe get some eggs and hatch out your own?

5. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Hmm, I guess I may as well try hatching. I don't really care about age or breed, I just want a pet turkey like I had as a kid. I know, weird, but my husband finally caved in!

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
  7. yinepu

Quote:I dont know if the guy I got mine from has any available right now or not.. he doesn't have any listed.. but that doesnt mean hes out either... I paid for 15 eggs.. he sent 19. I had 14 hatch [​IMG]

8. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    While some turkeys may still be laying a few eggs, fertillity is way down this time of year and they don't ship well in this heat. Getting shipped eggs this time of year should be a waste of money. Look locally or take a road trip. Craigslist is a good place to look. You could also do a search for S&S poulty or sandspoultry, they are in Eastern NC.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  9. yinepu

Quote:Lol.. tell that to the turkey eggs I got the beginning of August.. hottest driest summer we have had.. they arrived during 110 degree temps through the mail... I had my doubts since I have had mixed results from shipped eggs.. some have done pretty well.. others didn't.. so it's always a gamble.. however with a 74% hatch rate on those turkey eggs.. i think they did pretty darn well!
    While I agree that finding local eggs MAY be the best bet.. sometimes you just have to take a chance on shipped eggs

I've tried contacting S&S Poultry.. sent them an email inquiring about muscovy eggs on August 19th.. never heard back... so I don't know whats going on with them

10. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:Lol.. tell that to the turkey eggs I got the beginning of August.. hottest driest summer we have had.. they arrived during 110 degree temps through the mail... I had my doubts since I have had mixed results from shipped eggs.. some have done pretty well.. others didn't.. so it's always a gamble.. however with a 74% hatch rate on those turkey eggs.. i think they did pretty darn well!
    While I agree that finding local eggs MAY be the best bet.. sometimes you just have to take a chance on shipped eggs

I've tried contacting S&S Poultry.. sent them an email inquiring about muscovy eggs on August 19th.. never heard back... so I don't know whats going on with them

You did get lucky but it's just a rule of thumb. Some toms really loose interest when the temp gets hot and that's why fertillity drops. I have had eggs shipped late and hot but they were on cold packs and it really helps. If you find someone who has a very active breeding tom and they pick up eggs several times a day and don't leave them in the sun all day and pack them good you will be OK. It's a gamble!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by