Why are coop plans so expensive?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Alley, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Alley

Alley Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    Eureka, California
    Hi all,
    I was just wondering why people charge so... much for coop plans? Why are plans so... top secret? I just can't believe that some plans cost as much as $30.00 per plan! What's up with that? I'm looking to buy plans and when I do I will share my plans without cost to anyone who wants them! Isn't it about the love of having chickens and not the profit of the plans? I love my girls and want to provide them with a safe, secure coop but I don't want to pay a fortune to get them. I would rather spend the money on providing them with a safe, secure coop that I know preditors can't intrude!

Just a thought... can't we share plans without charging an arm and a leg? [​IMG]

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    it depends where you are getting the plans, if you are buying just a set of plans, detailed blueprints, exact directions list of materials etc.... then 30 may not be excessive.

However if you have some building skills, you can check out a book from the Library, and adapt them to what you want.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I do not know what plans you are referring to..

but I may be able to shed a little light on this subject ..

plans vs ideas

I am a retired building contractor..

here is the deal.. If someone is offering a description of what they built with or without photos..,,those are not plans..good for ideas,,but not worth paying for.

on the other hand,,,,,if someone is offering a list of materials, all the cut lengths of framing lumber and where and how the pieces go together.. that is a plan.. worth something.. It took someone's time and effort to put something like that together..

some people need specific plans..
    some do not.. I can build you a complete house without any drawings if you just tell me what you want.. I am not bragging, just stating a fact.. I was a builder for 40 years..

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Go to the library and get books on building sheds or play houses.

5. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Quote:I agree with jvls. Just look what I built with NO plans. Just what I planned in my head.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=14471-coop-layout

Some very bright people just cannot do anything without first planning it out to the last Nth. Nothing wrong with that. I might suggest you take a good look around BYC and you might just come up with more ideas than you can use.

6. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

I am also a building contractor (not retired yet though) and jvls1942 "nailed" it.....excuse the pun.

7. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Many of the so called "coop" plans I see are nothing more than shed, pen, or doghouse plans with annotations on where to put the nest boxes, feeders, and waterers. If you have a general idea of what you want, a book on building sheds or doghouses will get you started.

I have seen some plans advertised that are undoubtedly chicken coops. Aviary is perhaps a better term. These are the ones with a roof over an elevated nest box and pen. If drawn up well, with a good materials and cutting list, I could see those sort of plans being worth something. There is a well advertised plan set out there for one of these, but I have heard several people complain that they felt the plans were lacking and were more of an "idea" than plans to build from.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2009
  8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:I agree with jvls. Just look what I built with NO plans. Just what I planned in my head.

Some very bright people just cannot do anything without first planning it out to the last Nth. Nothing wrong with that. I might suggest you take a good look around BYC and you might just come up with more ideas than you can use.

I checked out your photos..great job..

my bride (of 46 years) is after me to add on to our main chicken coop

I would much rather build a whole new larger coop.. I have three coops already.. two of them are just enclosed lean-to shelters pasted onto the side and rear of the garage/shop.. the main coop is 12 x 16.. and fully insulated..with electricity..

I think I have just enough room between the house and the out buildings to squeeze in a nice sized coop.. I have lots of lumber for framing.. etc.

I was going to take it easy this summer,, no projects.. now you got me thinking.. thanks a lot !! [​IMG]

9. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    [​IMG]

10. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA

I checked out your photos..great job..

I was going to take it easy this summer,, no projects.. now you got me thinking.. thanks a lot !! [​IMG]

Sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by