1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why are Lavender Orpington Splits always done with Black Orpingtons?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cukooformarans, May 12, 2011.

1. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    I know the purpose is to help the Lavenders develop more Orpington qualities, but why is it that they are not crossed out with other colors-like buffs?

2. cukooformarans

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    Also, does it ever make a difference whether you should use a Lav hen or a Lav Roo for a split, or would the genetics work out the same? Seems like it wouldn't matter, but I have noticed that ppl on here talk about using certain hens only for roos (IE if you want to keep roosters from this breeding, use this hen. If you want to keep hens from this breeding, use another hen.) Also, I know some characteristics are sex linked, I just don't know which ones!![​IMG] Bet you can tell I'm a newbie! [​IMG] Any information would be much appreciated. I have my first lavender orpingtons in the incubator ...[​IMG] and want to learn everything I can about this BEAUTIFUL bird! [​IMG]

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Black is pretty basic and is the cleanest color to work with to produce a good consistent plumage color on lavender. Buff has a lot of extra genes involved. The first cross would produce many different colored chicks. Using blacks produces consistent color (or should, as long as there is no red leakage). Selections should be based on multiple factors - a few of which are body type and color. Matching up birds is typically based on individual perception and goals. I have bred split to split, lav roo to black hens, Black roo to lav hens, etc. We are now taking our best lavender roo back to some great looking black hens to continue working on our line. Matching up birds to get the right result is not just a matter of putting a couple birds in a breeding pen, but finding the right balance in the father and mothers to give the best results.

Good luck with your hatch.

4. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Because a lavender is a solid black chicken that has additional lav/lav.
    Lavender mutation dilutes black to lavender, and anything else to isabel.
    A buff plus lav/lav would be isabel.

5. cukooformarans

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    Wow thank you both for the quick response! As you can tell, I am new to this. I see now that there is already a lavender orpington thread, but don't know how to move this one. We have some descendants of the hinkjc line (so it was pretty neat that you wrote a reply!!!!) that I bought from Bargain. Nancy is so fabulous! [​IMG] Anyway, we are looking forward to working with this color, mostly just for our enjoyment. So excited .... they are due to hatch in 2 weeks!!![​IMG] I'm not familiar with Isabel but will look it up. Thanks so much again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by