Why are Muscovy ducks ignore or forgotten?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by charlindabob, Sep 10, 2009.

1. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    I am curious as to why there is very little interest in Muscovy ducks. First, let me say that I raise Mandarin (both normal & white phase) ducks, so I do know what a "pretty" duck is. But I have several Muscovy ducks, some chocolate pied and some white with black, and they are by far my favorite. Yes, their warty head is not attractive to some, but is that the only reason people seem to dismiss them? Mine are pinioned and they stay close and make almost no noise at all, no quacking and squawking like other ducks, so it seems that they would be perfect for urban folks who love ducks. They are very much lower in fat than other ducks, lay plenty of eggs, are good mothers and come in a variety of colors including pure white. I see very little postings on this breed and am just curious as to why the Muscovy duck seem to take a back seat to other breeds. I live in Florida and some places they have become pests due to encroachment and they breed so well here. They are also not native and that is a problem too. But, as far as keeping them in an urban location or where you have close neighbors and if they are pinioned, they are hard to beat, in my humble opinion. Did I mention friendly too? Lets have your thoughts on this........

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  3. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Where are you located...I'm going to get into mandarins again and wondering if you had them nearby?

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I hear a lot about muscovies here on the forums, and I see them a lot of CL, so I don't think they are forgotten. Personally it is the faces that turn me off, but I have seen some here that have made me rethink my position on their beauty.

5. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    This is my favorite muscovy pic...not mine, but the duck is beautiful!

[​IMG]

6. charlindabob

charlindabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2009
    central Florida
    1lpoock, I agree.... that is great picture! I was scrolling down and the picture hit me full force....a beautiful picture. By-the-way, I am in central Florida near I-75 and will be offering fertile eggs in the late spring. I may raise a few Mandarins myself this year as I intend to eventually go to a pinioned flock. I was against pinioning for several years, but have made a decision, for me anyway, that pinioning is safer for the Mandarins kept in captivity.

7. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Possibly it is for all the reasons you posted that you don't see as much about them. Quiet, healthy, get along w/other breeds & critters & can pretty much take care of themselves if needed. All around good bird.
    I've been watching mine this first year and getting to know their social structure, which I find quite interesting.
    Soooo, what would you like to tell us about your Muscovies? [​IMG] How about posting some pic's of them? And also, [​IMG]

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I think you bought muscovy eggs from me?? [​IMG] I love my scovies!

9. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    Quote:BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!!!!! MY NEW LIFE GOAL IS TO SEARCH FOR THAT DUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited for language

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2009
  10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The reasons I decided not to get scovies...

• They are seasonal layers
    • They can fly
    • The mule issue when bred with a mallard derived duck

I think they are cool, just not what I need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by