Why are my 4 month olds bocking so loud all of a sudden?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sinfonian, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    I've had semi-vocal birds for 4 months, but they were very quiet until recently. I've got 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Welsummer, 1 Golden Laced Wyndotte and 1 Barred Rock if it matters. I'm not sure which bird(s) is doing the talking, but today I heard them from across the street (about 200 feet). That's NOT good. If they keep it up and someone complains, our state's noise ordinance would kick in and all my birds would have to go!

Anyone have any ideas why they'd be so loud now? I'm fairly certain none are roosters and I've considered they may be laying soon. Thoughts? Thanks!

2. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    My Barred Rock and Rhode Island Red became very vocal a few weeks before they started laying. My BR would squawk and screech, while my RIR would honk like a goose at the top of her lungs. Prior to this, they were almost silent. They have been laying for two weeks now and the noise seems to have subsided a bit. They are definitely louder then they were before they were laying, but now the loudest noises seem limited to right before and right after laying their eggs. They return to their normal chicken sounds for the rest of the day. [​IMG]

3. Sinfonian

Sinfonian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Seattle area
    Great to hear, I guess. My immediate neighbors don't care, but I haven't spoken to others about it. Thanks!

4. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    My girls started laying at about 5 1/2 months old. Besides the increased volume, other laying signs by my girls were searching for nesting area behavior, squatting and reddening of their faces, combs and wattles. Looking forward to seeing some posted pictures of your first eggs soon. [​IMG]

Leigh

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by