Why are my baby chicks biting me!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicken360, Dec 12, 2012.

1. chicken360

chicken360 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    I have ten 3 week old baby chicks, they are fiesty they attack me when i go and put my hand in the box to fill their food tray and water dispenser. i now kinda am afraid to go in and touch them because they all run in and attack me by pinching my hand then kicking it and i dont like it any help would be great[​IMG]plz

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Try picking them up one at a time and holding them until they stop struggling, then start talking gently and petting them. Show them that you are not a threat. Sit around the brooder so they can see you and just watch them. Sounds like they need to imprint on you. Handling them often helps make them more tame.

1 person likes this.
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Also don't suddenly stick your hand in from above them. Predators like hawks swoop down like that, so their instinct tells them it danger. I think they are biting you because they are scared. Let them see you first, or even better, start talking to them before showing yourself, so they don't suddenly have this giant creature looming over them and coming into their space.
    When your hand is in the brooder hold it there for a bit, stroke their crops when it's full (chickens of all ages love that) and scratch the backs of the chicks heads. My chicks loved that! Letting them eat treats from your hand would also help.

4. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Sumi and Turtlepower both gave you excellent advice. I would add that you might want to involve another family member so that they are used to being around people besides just you. My hsuband and I both handle and talk to our chicks every day.

1 person likes this.
  5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Even a very tame chicken will still peck at beloved owners. As they don't have hands it's their way of tugging on your pant leg to say "Mom! Mom! Mommy! Look at me!" We had a barred rock that was overly needy as an adult. Non family members thought she was attacking them when in reality she wanted attention and treats. That and like babies, chicks explore things by putting their mouths on it.

6. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

[​IMG]

And when they are adults, their pecks get harder.

IMO, if you don't get used to getting pecked once in a while (shoes, toes, hands), your relationship with chickens will not be enjoyable.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Chicken pecks never bother me.

My girls think my freckles are food, and will try to eat them.

My boys (grown ones) stay away unless I have obvious foods. They like to take it from me and feed to the girls.

You guys think chickens are bad. Try geese! They harass me non-stop by pulling at my clothing, nibbling at anything they can that is attached to me. They are toddlers who need to taste to learn. [​IMG]

8. Quyen Le

Quyen Le Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    When you fill food for them, was it empty or there's some food left? Maybe they were too hungry? If that's the case, try bigger feeder or fill food more often.

9. chicken360

chicken360 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    thx for the advice i think they were probably hungry though

10. cubbysan

cubbysan Chillin' With My Peeps

Also, my ducks are very attracted to my shiny rings and bracelets. If it bothers you, make sure you aren't wearing shiny jewelry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by