Why are my baby chicks dying?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenfeverforever, May 13, 2011.

1. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    I am havign some serious issues with 3 chicks. I hatched all these, so they are not hatchery birds.

1. Silkie who was born 1 day ago has really wide spread legs. Seemed fine. Eating and drinking. Today. Laying in a corner lifeless, Panting eyes closed. Eyes are even closed when I pick him up.

2. Blue Laced Red Wyandotte chick thats 6 days old. Fine up until about 2 hours ago. Sleeping along, no movement. Not doing anything.

3. Mixed breed chick with a bent neck. When the chick stands his head hangs between his feet. He walks like this as well. Never holds his head up. To our surprise, he is very active, Eats, drinks and runs around with everyone else.

I have about 10 chicks in the brooder. Plenty of room. Electrolytes in their water. Medicated crumbles for food. Red heat lamp 18-20 inches away. No one is avoiding or huddling under the heat and all other chicks are fine. So is this just a srvival of the fittist type situation? 3 out of 10 seems like a lot. I had 2 die last week. One I helped out of the shell and one drown.

So whats going on here????

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

1 sounds like spradle leg perhaps?
    2 sounds like could just be normal chick mortality?
    3 sounds like wry neck.

If you had to help one hatch, and one drowned in shell, with #1 and #3 possibly due to either incubation parameters or parent stock not having the best diet/genetics, I'd look into incubator issues as part of your woe's.

3. chickenfeverforever

chickenfeverforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Quote:How do i treat spradle leg and wry neck?

4. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Quote:How do i treat spradle leg and wry neck?

For straddle, you connect the two legs with some kind of cloth or some thing. I don't know about the wry neck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by