WHY ARE MY BARRED ROCKS NOT LAYING WHEN MY AMERAUCANAS ARE LAYING ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cubalaya, Nov 21, 2008.

1. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    MY BARRED ROCKS ARE 7 MONTHS AND AMERAUCANAS ARE 6 MONTHS. I HAVENT GOT AN EGG FROM THE BARRED ROCKS IN A WEEK BUT THE AMERAUCANAS ARE LAYING ALMOST EVERY DAY?

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

First off, I'd just like to point out (in a very friendly way [​IMG]) that typing online in all caps is considered "screaming"...just so you know.

As to your question... It makes sense to me that different breeds would have different characteristics. Some begin laying earlier than others. Have patience. [​IMG] It's also possible that with the loss of daylight, your Barred Rocks aren't getting enough sunlight to be able to lay. Light matters.

3. cubalaya

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
  4. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Check that these hens are not loaded with mites or lice, and that they are getting about 14 hours light per day, some breeds are more sensitive than others to light. They might also be headed into a molt which will slow up laying. Check too that they are not laying somewhere you have not found if they have free range or an outside pen.

5. cubalaya

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    they dont have lice. what about a light at night? does it have to be a red light?

6. barred rock

barred rock Out Of The Brooder

i think that just has to do with the breed because my BR's took about 7 to 8 months to start laying

7. purplepoen

purplepoen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Michigan
    I too have barred rocks and they are especially touchey the first little stretch of cold when it comes to egg laying. I keep my girls going by regulating their light, it helps a ton. But they will adjust on their own, you just have to give them time. Also, giving them oystershell and good scraps helps.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  8. cubalaya

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    ok i will put some oyster shells out there. these are some large br non production type. i will have some green eggs for breakfast from my ee

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    mine are not laying yet either.

10. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The light does not have to be red. A plain old lightbulb will do. Most breeds of chickens stop laying nearly as much for the winter. It is possible the BRs have. Americaunas, however are known for their long laying season. They lay all through the wintertime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by