Why are my birds so dumb?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenKeep01, Sep 20, 2016.

1. ChickenKeep01

ChickenKeep01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    I think my Japanese Bantams are the world dumbest birds. My rooster couldn't figure out how to walk out of a open door and they can escape the padock they free range but they dont in why is this?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I like to think of chickens as smart, but not very intelligent, if that makes sense. I mean take a mother hen for example. How to sit on her eggs, how often to turn them, how to teach the babies; that's all hard-wired into their not-so-big head. However, I've witnessed my birds do similar things to what you described. A few of them spend several minutes scaling the fence of their run trying to find the gate when we let them out to free range. You'd think they would catch on. I mean we do it every day. And there's always the classic case of a chicken hopping the fence, but can't, for the life of them, figure out how to hop it in the opposite direction to get back inside. They're just funny, not-so-bright, creatures! [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you study bird behavior and spend some time observing with an open mind........that 'dumb' label may change.

4. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    There one other thing my roosters been doing sometimes. He will be standing still calmly then for no reason that I can see he will jump up in the air as high a he can and start running then stop and act like he never did its what is he doing?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Maybe he caught a bug?
    How old is he?

6. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    I don't know his exact age but he started mating late August

7. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    They are smart at "chicken" stuff, not human stuff. I think they do ok for a critter that has a brain the size of a pea. :)

8. Newmamabear

Newmamabear Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Alberta
    in my birdie brain I think he is trying to establish which hens are his. If that makes sense. Like he is trying to find which ones look up to him so are more submissive to him. Seeing which of the ladies are his. [​IMG]

9. ChickenKeep01

Jul 2, 2016
    Australia
    that dose make sense but he was way out by himself with no hens near him

10. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    x2 - mine do this when they're catching flies especially.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by