why are my BO cockerels beating up NH pullets and not BO pullets?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beanmcnulty, Jul 11, 2011.

1. beanmcnulty

beanmcnulty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    I have extra BO cockerels that are overdue for freezer camp (they go next week), and they have been beating on the NH pullets that I have that are the same age, but not the BO pullets. It is so bad I have to separate them during the day- they scalped one of the NHs and started doing it to another so I just keep them totally separate now. Does anyone know why this is? Just breed differences? They were all raised together.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

You may never know 100% why they are being the brats that they are.

Could be they do not like the color of the NHs.

Could be the NH are getting closer to POL (point of lay) than your BOs and the boys know it.

Does sound like they need to use their pass to freezer camp [​IMG]

3. beanmcnulty

beanmcnulty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    This is kinda what I am leaning toward (color) or the POL could be too- I guess NHs mature faster? Maybe it's just God's way of making it easier to eat them:)

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Our youngest duck is a male Mallard...
    our duck flock consists of only 8 ducks.. him.. 3 female Cayugas.. and 4 female Mallards
    He hates the Cayugas with a passion...

now being the only boy with 7 lovely ladies one would think he would love all of them the same.. but he doesn't.. he chases them away from the feed and water pans.. almost like he is trying to segregate everyone
    The only thing different about them is their color.. they were all raised together (the male was the last addition when he was hatched).. he even keeps his mallard girls away from them when they bed down at night.. the female Mallards like the Cayugas just fine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by