Why are my button Quails dying?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Cohen County, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Cohen County

Cohen County New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    Hi everyone,
    I have gorgeous button quails & suddenly I have found 4 dead today. The 1st was a baby which drowned in the bird bath... my fault I didn't leave enough small jar lids filled for them. The other 3 adults & all female died with what looks like a prolapse. Protruding bowel covered in blood. No other symptoms visible to me. Could this be from pack raping & excessive egg laying...? Any idea's to enlighten me would be much appreciated....

2. gorabbitgo

gorabbitgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    I'm sorry for your loss. That sucks.
    It could be due to many different factors, but most likely has to do with problems laying. What are you feeding them? Knowing their diet will help narrow down the list of possible issues.

3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    First let me start by saying sorry for your loss. But I am a believer that you should keep "button" quail in pairs only. One reason is the fighting that can and does lead to death. This may or may not be what happened here but it could have been a factor.
    Check your feed and be sure it has a minimum of 20% protein but better if 30%. You can add cooked chicken or quail eggs, kale, and broccoli for more protein. they should be getting ground oyster shell and grit plus a good quality of finch seed mixed with the game bird feed. Why do you have a bird bath with water in it? all they need is a bowl of sand or dirt to dust bathe in. Water for drinking in a tube or chick water-er is fine if you change it daily or more if it is hot. Hope this helps. here is a great site to get information from: Bracken Ridge Ranch - Button Quail Eggs

good luck.

4. Cohen County

Cohen County New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    Thank you for your response...,
    They are in the aviary with the budgies so they get budgie seed mix, native flowers plus I grow my own sprouts using seed mix specially formulated for birds..& grit.
    The bird bath is for the budgies so perhaps I need to hang it so the quails can't get to it... I never knew I could feed them meat products & their own eggs. I will give all your suggestions a try thank you... I did have the quails all paired up but the males seem to have their preferences....
    The girls are out numbered now so I will have to get some more cages to separate them...
    Thanks again

5. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I did not mean to feed them chicken meat just the chicken eggs! lol I guess they may eat the cooked meat never thought about it. i will ask around on that idea...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by