Why are my chickens dying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thackerb, May 11, 2010.

1. thackerb

thackerb Hatching

May 11, 2010
    I am new to owning chickens and don't know much about what illnesses and disesases that they are prone to I hope some one can help me figure out what is going on.

I have several breeds of approx 2 month old chickens that are dying off a the rate of 2 -3 a day over the last week. Brought them home about 6 weeks ago Started with 48 ( bought some from feed store and some from breeder)and am now down to 15. They are kept in a 12x12 stall. have free choice water and feed. They act normal then acutely become lethargic and just kind of sit in a corner and within a few hours are dead. One showed signs of a respiratory issue (open mouth breathing) bul all others have just been listless. Any idea as to what could be going on? Ay advice on what to do for the remaining live birds. Thanks in advance

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    I've never has this before, but here's a BUMP! If any more get sick, KEEP THEM AWAY FROM THE OTHERS! Check them for mites/ fleas, and I don't know anything else. good luck!

3. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Songster

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Have you tried any antibiotics in their water yet? Apple cider vinegar in their water? If its something they caught they probably all have it at this point. I think the only option is to treat it. You might take one of the dead ones to see if they can find out why it died which may help your remaining chicks.

4. naked_heels

naked_heels In the Brooder

Nov 20, 2008
    Des Moines, IA
    looks like your chickens have come down with CRD diseases, if u have large flock you could use Tylan (water solubled) type, since you have 15 left you could use Tylan 50 feed thru oral .3cc twice a day for several days you should see a better result.

5. Lensters

Lensters Songster

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
  6. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Songster

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    What kind of feed? Medicated or not?.Most states provide a free check of poultry for disease.Could be cocidiosis.I probably didn't spell that right baaaaa.At 2 month's old and they have survived this long seem's like a change in food or a contractural something.I lost about 40 chick'sonce due to feed so think about any changes you have made with them recently and think about contacting your local Agriculture program for help or testing.Like I said most states will do it for free. Hope your birds are ok.Please update us.

7. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Songster

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    You need to submit one or two of the dead ones to a diagnostic lab. There are too many diseases that could cause those symptoms. Necropsies aren't expensive. You could try a whole bunch of remedies and never actually fix the problem. Even if you don't treat, you want know what it was for future birds you may have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by