1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

why are my chickens eating their eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jdixon620, Aug 28, 2007.

1. jdixon620

jdixon620 Hatching

Aug 28, 2007
    Emmett,Idaho
    i have 3 roosters and 16 hens and a big coop but for some reason the chickens are eating their eggs i could get about 12eggs a day in july then here it is aug. and i could get 6 maybe less and they might eat half of them they have food and water why could are these chickens eating their eggs i want them for breakfast. can anyone help me please.

2. llxll00llxll

llxll00llxll Songster

Aug 27, 2007
    ::So Cal::
    if any of them are black leghorns... they're known to eat their eggs [​IMG] only the black one though... i had one she ate a couple of her eggs [​IMG] if you dont have any black ones...dunno wat to tell you then!

3. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Because they taste good??? [​IMG]

4. Quote:[​IMG]

5. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Songster

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    I have heard it is very hard to stop them doing this once they start. You might have to use a nest box that has a little ramp that rolls the eggs away where the chickens can't reach them after they are laid ...

That's the only solution I have ever heard of ...

Hopefully someone can give you more/better information.

trish

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I had this problem too and to fix you
    have to make the nesting boxes darker
    put a mini tent over it or make them longer so light can't get inside.

thats all there is to it

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Jos Toes

Jos Toes Hatching

Aug 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    You guys are all so...crazy...funny? I feel right at home, even though I only have just one chicken:rolleyes:

8. Jos Toes

Jos Toes Hatching

Aug 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Ah, be patient with me kids...I can't even press the right keys to put on a smilie face. But here's the deal,
    my chicken, Rosie, has sorry to say, live worms in her poop. I quess it's time to visit the vet, gez louise! For just one chicken! Yep, for just one chicken. If you got'em, you gotta take care of 'em. I love that chicken.

9. Quote:Welcome! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Quote:Welcome! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by