why are my chickens eating their eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jdixon620, Aug 28, 2007.

1. jdixon620

jdixon620 New Egg

Aug 28, 2007
    Emmett,Idaho
    i have 3 roosters and 16 hens and a big coop but for some reason the chickens are eating their eggs i could get about 12eggs a day in july then here it is aug. and i could get 6 maybe less and they might eat half of them they have food and water why could are these chickens eating their eggs i want them for breakfast. can anyone help me please.

2. llxll00llxll

llxll00llxll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2007
    ::So Cal::
    if any of them are black leghorns... they're known to eat their eggs [​IMG] only the black one though... i had one she ate a couple of her eggs [​IMG] if you dont have any black ones...dunno wat to tell you then!

3. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Because they taste good??? [​IMG]

4. chickenfeathers

chickenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

5. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    I have heard it is very hard to stop them doing this once they start. You might have to use a nest box that has a little ramp that rolls the eggs away where the chickens can't reach them after they are laid ...

That's the only solution I have ever heard of ...

Hopefully someone can give you more/better information.

trish

6. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I had this problem too and to fix you
    have to make the nesting boxes darker
    put a mini tent over it or make them longer so light can't get inside.

thats all there is to it

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Jos Toes

Jos Toes New Egg

Aug 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    You guys are all so...crazy...funny? I feel right at home, even though I only have just one chicken:rolleyes:

8. Jos Toes

Jos Toes New Egg

Aug 28, 2007
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Ah, be patient with me kids...I can't even press the right keys to put on a smilie face. But here's the deal,
    my chicken, Rosie, has sorry to say, live worms in her poop. I quess it's time to visit the vet, gez louise! For just one chicken! Yep, for just one chicken. If you got'em, you gotta take care of 'em. I love that chicken.

9. chickenfeathers

Quote:Welcome! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. chickenfeathers

Quote:Welcome! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by