Why are my chickens molting now that the cold weather has arrived?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by weesy68, Dec 14, 2009.

1. weesy68

weesy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    My two RIRs are losing their feathers, it started the moment the really cold weather hit here in CT. Is this normal? Why wouldn't they molt in the spring?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Are they about a year and a half old? 18-20 months old is about the right age for the first big molt, no matter what season it is. I have a bunch molting, though most of mine are already finished this year.

3. weesy68

weesy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    No, they are less than a year old, about eight months I think.

4. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    That's what chickens do. They'll molt at any age. I had one who molted at around eight months.

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    Quote:I asked the same question & Speckledhen told me: it's called a mini-molt and pullets can have them around this age. I have one born end of April who's been mini-molting since early November. She's not losing all her feathers at once, just a few at a time, and she stopped laying.

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:I asked the same question & Speckledhen told me: it's called a mini-molt and pullets can have them around this age. I have one born end of April who's been mini-molting since early November. She's not losing all her feathers at once, just a few at a time, and she stopped laying.

Sometimes they aren't mini....

7. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    Mother nature can sure be perverse at times... [​IMG]

8. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    We have had low temperatures around 8 degrees overnight for the past week (warmer weather is here today) and we have several RIR that are nearly bald. Poor things look so terrible. It did become really obvious when the cold set in though. Seems ODD.

9. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle

Sometimes they aren't mini....

Hey, I had NO idea. So, a pullet, 8 mos old, will do a full-blown, naked molt? [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The BIG first molt comes at a year and a half. The one at 8-9 months is nowhere near what that one will be, trust me. Weather has less to do with molt than the age of the bird, at least with these two molt periods. I've never had the 9 month one be that bad. Just give her extra protein for awhile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by