Why are my chickens not laying yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nacrowe, Feb 18, 2010.

1. nacrowe

nacrowe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2009
    loganville
    My chicks were born on Jun 20 2009 and are mixed breeds. I have 4 older hens they lay daily but the pullets just will not lay any eggs. any ideas let me know

2. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    The winter probably stalled there laying. They should be starting up pretty soon. Is there any possibility that they could be hinding a nest anywhere? Sometimes those girls can be sneaky.

Oh and [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  3. karl E lutz

karl E lutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    My hens were april and they have been laying well for 2 months. sounds about right to me.Keep a light on in the hen house as the shorter days changes their laying habits.

4. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Different breeds start laying at different ages... What breed????

Also some breeds won't lay well or at all in cold weather/winter with shorter days.. (my Amaraucanas completly shut down for 7 weeks December- first week of Febrary)

Increase the light to 14 hours a day if you already haven't. Might help but it's no magic bullet.

5. Jennygirl76

Jennygirl76 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Canterbury, CT
    Try the cayenne pepper in there food, it got my Cochins laying. One of them has laid four eggs her first week of laying. Its my favorite new advice!

6. nacrowe

nacrowe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2009
    loganville
    Two of them are Amaraucanas and the other three are Jersey Giants thanks for the advice

7. mzrea

mzrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vermont
    My Ameraucanas just started laying at 37 weeks.

8. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Quote:Ah ... The Amaraucanas don't like the cold like other breeds do and the JGs ... slow developers..... nothing is wrong just hang in there .....it's not time yet

9. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My EE waited until they were almost 40weeks old to lay (one has only been laying for two weeks., my true Ameraucana was 39weeks old.. I think it had to do with the breed and the weather.

10. eddiesbaglady

eddiesbaglady New Egg

Jun 13, 2012
    Lehi Utah
    my Rhode Island red is 24 weeks,my Australorp, Buff Orpington, and Barred Rock are 20 weeks, and my Gold Comet is 18 weeks and none of them are laying yet. Should I be concerned? Sorry I'm a new chicken parent[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by