Why are my chicks being so mean to my new cochins?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lil_chick_chick, Apr 4, 2009.

1. lil_chick_chick

lil_chick_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    We went out today and got 3 baby cochins and as soon as we got them home my other chicks started being mean to them and pecking at them alot. I have cinnamon queens, australorps, red sex links, barred rocks and when i introduced all these other breeds together over a week ago there was no problem but as soon as i put these cochins in the cage today with them they all started getting pecked at by all my other chicks, it got so bad we had to divide them up, so now i have 3 different cages. Why are they so mean to the cochins? Oh and the ages are like anywheres from about 1 month old chicks to 2 weeks old, and i have some that are 1 1/2 weeks old and it was the younger group that was being so mean, i hadnt noticed the 1 month olds being mean to them.

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    It is truly a pecking order. Give them time. Separate if someone is in danger.

How old are each group of birds?

3. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    the age difference can cause a big problem. I think that it is just them trying to show who is top dog so to speak. setting up the pecking order . but the older ones will pick on the younger ones. mine always have that is why I won't mix them if there is a real big age difference, no more than 1 week apart

4. lil_chick_chick

lil_chick_chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    it was mostly my cinnamon queens being really mean and i got those just this past week and they were hatched on march 23rd and the cochins i got today but didnt see when they were hatched but they cant be but a few days old, id say not even a week yet on the cochins.

5. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    probably pecking order

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by