Why are my chicks coming out like this?!

Crystal Chicken

Chirping
Mar 29, 2023
Ontario, Canada
So the past 2 chicks that have hatched came out but had their butts stuck in the shell. One of them was covered in yellow goo (yoke?). My incubator is a piece of crap so I am sure it had something to do with it. I realized after the first 7 days that the incubator has 2 levels for humidity. Either very high 60+ or basically non existent. In order for me to maintain 40% I would have to be putting in a few drops of water every hour at least and that would make the humidity go up and down. I gave up and decided to convert to a dry hatch because it seemed keeping the humidity too high was worse than it being low. So humidity was 18-20% until day 18 when I was able to keep it fairly steady at 65%.
The temperature was off too and there are cold spots, this is probably the biggest issue. I had no way of increasing the temperature to over 38. The reading I was getting on my additional thermometer was almost always at least 1 degree lower. I added a heating pad, and that seemed to help.

I have 3 more eggs left to hatch and I am pretty sure they are dead. I candled them after this last one hatched and One looks like it stopped developing at day 16. The other two look like they fully developed but they aren't moving.

The shells are from the last two babies that hatched, the first baby hatched early and had no problems. It was probably in a good spot in the incubator.

Thank you for reading my story. I appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

• 20230402_224843.jpg
    20230402_224843.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20230402_224800.jpg
    20230402_224800.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom