Why are my chicks dieing???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BLaBauve, Jul 20, 2010.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Last week I had 2 month old chicks die. One seemed to develop some deformity and the other died while gasping for breath. This week in another pen I have 4 week old chicks with a broody hen. They are all breathing rapidly and today one won't walk around. It just stands there breathing rapidly. None of my adult birds seem sick - just chicks. Help!!

2. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Sorry I can't help but I'm giving you a bump hopefully someone will know what the problem is.

3. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Thanks for the bump. I wonder of my adult birds are carriers of something that the chicks are getting. I hope I can save them!

4. 500592

500592 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    you should bring them inside and feed them medicated chick starter good luck

5. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    Will it really depress mom to take her babies from her?

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Is the rapid breathing the only symptom you have seen before they passed?
    Eating, drinking, poo look OK, are they possibly overheated, what kind of bedding are they using?
    Sorry for the questions, just trying to gather some info so maybe we can help.
    What kind of deformity do you mean on the 2 month old that died? Where was it?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  7. 500592

500592 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    i shouldnt depress the mother she will think theywere stolen and she will be calm at least that is whatmy 3 hens did when i took them

8. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    The only symtom I've noticed is rapid breathing. They will eat and drink, but then stop to breath heavily for awhile. The sickest one just stays by itself now and won't eat or drink

the chick that died last week was holding its wings up and squatting. I noticed its knees were bright red - it died in a few hours after seperating it. It's sibling died the next day - it was gasping for air.

These chicks are on pine shavings in the coop and they have mulch in the run. The follow mom around and eat whatever she eats. Sometimes it's starter feed and sometimes layer feed that has fallen from the feeder. I try to get them to eat as much starter as possible -it is an organic non medicated starter. Should I switch to medicated?

9. BLaBauve

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    And my coop and run is completely in the shade.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What a puzzle. What kind of mulch in the run? Any cedar in it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by