Why are my chicks eating more than they need?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by elizabet253, Mar 31, 2015.

1. elizabet253

elizabet253 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    I just did the exact math according to this website http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/How_much_food_do_chicks_need__63__/
    They should have eaten 75 pounds of food as of today, but instead they have eaten 100 pounds. I have 26 babies that were born on 2/27 13 on 3/06 53 on 3/12 and 7 on 3/27 a total of 99 birds. I mean, they kind of ate a 50 pounds bag of food that I just opened last Tuesday... Had to open a new bag yesterday.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    I LOL'd at 1/4 cup per day for month old chicks.

I've always left a feeder available 24/7/365 and theres not a day that goes by they aren't lined up at the pop doors waiting to go outside.

So much for making them lazy. To each his own I suppose, but after reading that (especially where the author felt the need to tweak it) I personally don't put a lot of stock in it

3. elizabet253

Sep 7, 2014
    bump

4. LLCoyote

LLCoyote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Yeah I don't think I'd go by that alone. Nothing is ever set in stone and it probably varies a lot based on different factors. The particular brand/type of feed could affect them as the ingredient and nutritional components can be different from brand to brand. The type of chicks could have something to do with it, along with the temperature (if an animal is too cold it tries to fatten up and stay warm). Really though, these are just guesses. I'd handle your chicks and if they feel fine, just give them whatever they want. It's better to feed them all they want to eat and have them healthy than it would be to try and restrict them and one end up getting sick/weak. I've only had chicks for a little while but I had ducks for a few years and I was always told to give them as much as they would eat.

1 person likes this.
  5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

could other critters be sharing their feed? wild birds, rodents, our dogs used to ge inot the chicken feeders when they had the chance.

at a certain point growing chicks do seem to be eating you out of house and home... Different breeds also have different needs. If you have meat chicks -- they spend all their time eating. Do your chicks have any access to forage or are they in confinement??

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I feed free choice, and try to keep the rodents at bay. It's not worth my time or the chick's health to measure according to someone's formula. They need to eat! Mary

7. havery

havery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    East Texas
    Unless they're a meat breed, I wouldn't worry about restricting feed. I've always kept my gals feeder full and they have access 24/7 and have never had an issue.

8. elizabet253

Sep 7, 2014
    Half are inside because they're too young, no critters, half are outside so yes they can forage. And no meat birds.

9. elizabet253

Sep 7, 2014
    I have 200 baby birds, most of which I'm planning to sell, so it matters to me how much I spend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by