why are my chicks eyelids sticking together??????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speedy94c, Feb 19, 2009.

1. speedy94c

speedy94c New Egg

Feb 19, 2009
    they are a week old yesterday and I noticed that a couple of them had their eyes closed and wouldnt open them. Lastnight I took some warm water out there and put a drop on the ones eyes that were stuck shut which broke them loose. Tonight when I got home from work I noticed that almost all of thems eyes were like that.
    What is causing this???? anyone know????

Thanks in advance
    Steve

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    It sounds like they have a bit of a respiratory problem going on. Do they have any nasal discharge? You might want to try them on some antibiotics.

3. speedy94c

speedy94c New Egg

Feb 19, 2009
    They have no nasel discharge. sometimes they look like they have been playing in the water. Just dont know.

4. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    Seems like i read on here that it could be caused by low humidity. Don't quote me on this and i hope someone with more chickperience can chime in on this. Good Luck with those babies.

5. speedy94c

speedy94c New Egg

Feb 19, 2009
    please help me with this. do i need to keep them open with water or what? is there something i can put on them?

thanks in advance

6. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    try reposting this on a thread under disease, etc catagory. I'm sure someone here can tell you what to do., Sorry i can't answer that one. Good Luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by