1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Why are my chicks going bald????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkiesForEver, Dec 15, 2012.

1. SilkiesForEver

SilkiesForEver Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    My broody Silkies hatched 4 mixed breed flock chicks about 1 month or so ago. Three of them are going bald like a turken! Their feathers are gone from the underside of their beak all the way down their underside to their vent! They hatched with all their feathers. Our friend I got the eggs from, raises chickens purely for eggs and has NO naked necks in his flock.
    They seem to be a little under the weather, and stand hunched.
    They are very hardy, and have shown no health problems until now.
    Only 1 chick looks fine and doesn't seem to have anything wrong with him/her. [​IMG]

I'm going to start treating them with coconut oil/milk, oregano oil, liquid garlic, and kefir.

Please, if you have any idea what could be wrong with them, Let Me Know!

Thanks.

2. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    Hmmm. The only thing I can think of is if they are molting, but that basically only happens with chickens over 9 months. Hope someone can help you better. :)

3. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Yeah, they are only 4 weeks old. Do they are definitely not molting. Also, the skin where the feathers are missing doesn't seem "irritated". Like another chick is picking them.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Some of my chicks went bald, most noticeably on their heads and it turned out they had mites. Have you dusted your chicks for mites? If not I'd suggest you do it a.s.a.p. Mites, fleas and lice can kill young chicks.

5. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes, I've dusted more than once this month. I'm going to do it one more time, just to be on the safe side.

6. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    Can anyone help? Please?

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Lice/Mite eggs will hatch within 7 - 10 days of the first treatment that kills off the parents, have you treated the coop and the chickens within 7-10 days of the first treatment? This MAY be the problem.

Good luck

Suzie

8. SilkiesForEver

Mar 24, 2012
    Sacramento, CA
    I have treated them and the coop three times this month for external parasites. And today, I noticed they're growing their feathers back! Ugh! They have me so confused!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by