Why are my chicks (hen-set) pipping and then dying?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by newchik, Jun 5, 2008.

1. newchik

newchik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2007
    I am no worried.

I had a brood of 6 eggs. The first hatched at 20 days, then another on day 21. On day 22 I had 2 pip, then they died in-shell.

I thought it was because the mother had not kept them warm enough.

Now I have 3 eggs under another hen (different eggs, different hen) that pipped yesterday afternoon. I KNOW this hen has not left the nest but for a brief walk. They haven't come out of the shell yet, either and I don't know if they're alive or not in there.

The first two that died, I opened up and took a look.

The first one looked completely healthy, but still had its yolk sac outside the body.

The second one looked like a normal healthy chick - no yolk sac visible. It peeped at me for a good 24 hours.

What's going on?

2. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    That must be awful! I am so sorry.

This is my first time hatching eggs so I dont have anything to offer. However, I am sure someone will.

Good luck with the ones you have left.

We were hen sitting eggs too. Our mama abandonded the eggs on day 20. Now they are in our kitchen.

I know this is all so nerve wracking!

Gin in the morning isn't so bad! Mimosas!

Good luck!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You are seeing nature at work. Not every egg will develop into a chick and not every egg with a chick will hatch live and healthy. so many things have a effect on the outcome.

While we see amazing results and 100% hatch rates on the forum that is not the norm for chicken raising. Of chicks that do hatch you can at best plan for 75% of those to survive to adulthood.

Shipped eggs really go through alot of stress and we are fortunate to get any of those to hatch. It is a risk we take to get better stock than we can buy local or from a hatchery.

Sorry for your loss but it happens to us all. Even in a bator eggs will pip and then die before hatching out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by