Why are my chicks not getting along???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by elizabethu42, Jul 1, 2016.

1. elizabethu42

elizabethu42 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2016
    Canada
    So I have two chicks one hatched yesterday and is already fluffed out and the other one hatched 3-6 hours ago. I tried putting in the newer one but the larger one just pecked at it. Is this normal?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. B520

B520 Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2016
    I'm kinda new so I don'thave much advice about this but I'm curious and wanna learn!

Have they started getting along yet?

I don't want to scare you but I had a chick who ended up with a scab on her head. All the others wanted to bite at the scab and even though I removed her from the others, she didn't make it :(

So I don't know if they just didn't like her or they thought the scab was bug or something??

I'd say you will have much much better luck than I did though.

3. elizabethu42

Jun 28, 2016
    Canada
    Thank you I think once the other guy is stronger I'll put her back in

4. Lil Peeps

Lil Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016

Yes wait until the chick is all dry and fluffy and can walk around really well before you put it in with the other one. They should get along just fine after a little while together. Just make sure to keep a close eye on them when you first put them together. I've had older hatched chicks pecking on new ones before and they always end up working it out. I hope yours do, too!

5. Lil Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    @elizabethu42 how are your babies getting along?

6. elizabethu42

Jun 28, 2016
    Canada
    There doing great

7. Lil Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    Yeah!!! You should post pictures of them! I bet they are just cuties!

8. elizabethu42

Jun 28, 2016
    Canada
    Wow! They sure do grow fast ill send you a pic. Not sure of their genders either.

9. Lil Peeps

Apr 16, 2016

Aw! I know it! If you wanted I could help you figure out their genders when you post the pictures.

10. molly1chickens

molly1chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2016
    Mine did that. I had my first hatch 24 hours before the other. When I first put them together the older one pecked the younger one but I left them to it, seperating them a bit when it was necessary. Now it is day 2-3 and they love each other, they are currently asleep on my lap on top of each other! I hope the same happens to yours :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by