Why are my chicks plucking each others feathers off

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Baruch, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Baruch

Baruch Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2012
    I walked in my chicks coop one day and I saw my chicks were getting plucked by my other chicks I have 8 chicks and 5 of them are bald on both sides of their necks I have a very big coop. I let them out for the whole day but I put them back in night. I hung a cabbage. I put viniger and salt in their drinking water.I give them scrambled eggs every day. BUT THEY STILL DO IT. Is there anything I can do or feed them if so please write thank you so much:(

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The most common causes of this are said to be too little protein, boredom, and too little space. Since you seem to have the others covered, I'd look at the protein content of their feed.

3. Baruch

Apr 9, 2012
    What has the most protein

4. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Canned catfood works great. And they LOVE it.

5. Baruch

Apr 9, 2012
    Thank you so much let's hope it works

6. Baruch

Apr 9, 2012
    Can pine tar work?

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Plus now that they've started that nasty behavior it may be a habit. I would observe carefully and see if you can find the instigator/s and pull them out. See if the rest of the flock settles down. It can be very hard to break this once they get into the habit.

Edited to add: What is their main food? Are they getting chick starter?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  8. Baruch

Apr 9, 2012
    I got all of the bad ones in the separate cage and I'm feeding them crumble can u Please give me some advise

9. Baruch

Apr 9, 2012
    I got all of the bad ones in the separate cage and I'm feeding them crumble can u Please give me some advise

10. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

By bad ones do you mean the ones that got pecked? How old are these chicks?

If you are feeding them starter plus scrambled egg every day they shouldn't have a protein problem I wouldn't think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by