Why are my ducks depressed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NYRIR, Jan 20, 2011.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    I know that sounds silly but I posted a few days ago on my ducks not getting clean.I went out and got a couple of smaller,more manageable containers for them to bathe in.They don't go in! They seem bummed out.They don't seem sick...they just seem melancholy.I even tried to entice them into the new pools with tomatoes...didn't touch them!They are eating,drinking fine...just will not go in the water.Our kiddie pool "pond" they used all summer froze up....so we got a cattle water heater and thawed it out....nope,didn't work...they didn't trust the "invader"!So then the smaller containers....still...nothing.I didn't have straw down on the ground until a few days ago when I read something someone posted on here and subsequently went and put down some straw.They have clean straw IN the duck house and now outside too.Is there something else I should do?
    Thanks for any suggestions....[​IMG]

2. Snipes

Snipes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Why did you put straw down?
    Depressed, bummed, melancholy? These descriptions say to me that they might be lethargic?
    I don't have specific medical advise for you, but I would suggest looking it up or calling your vet or taking them in. Lots of animals like birds and herps especially, tend to hide it very well if they're sick (or at least show signs that we can't easily interpret) until they sicker than you might think they are.
    I am very new to ducks and have not run into any problems, so please keep in mind that I do not have any expertise in anything about this really. I did go through my Storey's Guide and found something that maybe rings a bell?
    "Staphylococcosis- In ducks, the most common place for staph infections are the joints of the feet and legs. In the mild form, birds show lameness, an unsteady gait, stand or sit by themselves, move about reluctantly, lose weight"
    I couldn't find anything else that sounds closer enough to what you're describing in the book.

3. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    Is is possible that they are moulting and are therefore reluctant to bathe properly due to a lack of protection against the water? I know a couple of mine have started moulting and sometimes they don't want to get in because they will get too soggy and cold. Since you said they are eating fine and doing everything else normal, it seems like a viable option...

4. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Snipes,
    I put straw down over the snow and ice to give them better footing and for if they want to lay outside on some.No,they don't seem lethargic...maybe I didn't explain it right.They are not isolating themselves from each other and still wander around in a group.No one is limping or walking funny...but thanks for trying to help.

AdamD77
    That could be...is that typical for them when they are moulting?My male mallard still has his mating plumage,I was wondering when he would change again.He was born last spring....

5. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

My ducks where not themselves when we had the snow last weel. I shoveles them a patch and moved the snow out the way, they were alot happier after I did that. Maybe you need to start digging and give them ground to sit on instead of snow

6. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Yeah,we did shovel some of the run...but we got an ice storm two days ago and the temps have been below freezing...so hence,the straw on top of the ice/snow.They still move around in the pen...I'm thinking maybe it is the moulting going on because in the spring,summer,fall you can't keep them out of the water [​IMG]

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I have a few funny ducks molting now. They sure look pitiful in this cold weather. And boy, are they not happy either! They yell at me all the time and I take that to mean, "Give me a blooming coat, already!"
    I do not think I have seen my molting girls go in the water either but there are so many and they are so fast and furious when I fill the pools up I can't tell who is what!

8. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    [​IMG] ha ha! They do seem to want spring more than the chickens do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by