why are my ducks dying???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by brett hatton, Jan 18, 2014.

1. brett hatton

brett hatton New Egg

Jan 18, 2014
    I had 2 appleyard ducks,2 Aylesbury ducks & a drake-i have had an appleyard go off her legs for some reason & die, & now i have an aylesbury duck go off her legs-im hoping shes not going to die!
    They are all roughly the same age,a couple of years old,but why have they gone off their legs ??? any ideas anyone? What could it be? Hip problem?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    It could be a vitamin deficiency. Try giving them powdered vitamins from the feed store in their water for a week and see. Also some meat breed ducks die of heart attacks as they get older. A couple years could be considered "old" for a meat duck, both of which Alyesbury and Appeared fall under.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC and sorry for your loss. [​IMG]If you live in the US many States offer free or low cost necropsy services.

Some labs listed by State:
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

How to send fro necropsy:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/799747/how-to-send-a-bird-for-a-necropsy-pictures

-Kathy

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    What are you feeding them? Do you have any stray/feral cats around?

6. brett hatton

brett hatton New Egg

Jan 18, 2014
    No we don't have any stray or feral cats around. we do have crows & Gulls that come for food though.
    The 2nd duck that has fell ill seems to have recovered,but then so did the other one before she died...........!
    Im pretty sure it is their hips as they are quite fat-my fault probably as we run a restaurant, so they have all the leftovers!!!

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

What do you consider fat? Do you know about how much they weigh?

It's probably not their weight. What are you feeding them?

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Two things I can think of that could make a duck not want to walk are bumble foot, which they could die from if not treated and gout. Gout could very well kill them. Do a search for visceral gout in poultry.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by